Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Comics To Come

ASTRO CITY THE DARK AGE #3 (OF 16) $2.99- I would highly recommend any of the Astro City TPBs, found (albeit not easily) at your local library. This is a new take on the legacy of Astro City, and it follows the title. This is the grim and gritty of Astro City. For those unfamiliar with this comic book, and it's strong back story. Astro City is it's own Marvel or DC Universe, and as such it has unique superhero characters. The most enduring characteristic however, has to be the everyday citizens, and how this strange world effects each and everyone of them. This series is a love letter to comics of all types.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #523 $2.50- The fits hit the shan for Spidey gang. Last issue he was found out by a group of Hydra hero clones, and he is feeling pretty wonky from some sort of drug. Hang tight and hop on for the finale of this run.

DAREDEVIL FATHER #2 (OF 5) $2.99- If I like this issue... I think the end of the world just might be upon us. I guess I can take some satisfaction that since I most likely won't get comics this week, my retailer can conveniently forget this issue.

NEW AVENGERS #9 $2.50- I wish the Sentry arc was over. I am ready for the spotlight to shine on Spider-Woman, readers will note that she was my favorite part of last month's issue. I really hate Paul Jenkins.

POWERS #12 (MR) $3.95- If memory serves, this was supposed to be the Bendis drawn and Oeming written issue. However some complications arose, and I believe roles were reversed, so this will just be a double-sized issue. If any Bendis fans want to see his art, there will be a variant cover which will be drawn by him at least.

RUNAWAYS #7 $2.99- Has there been a delay between issues? I am trying to recall exactly what happened. I think the Runaways ended up getting off safely by the skin of their teeth (such an odd saying). The leader of Excelsior, which is a band of former kid superheroes trying to catch the Runaways, was found out to be Rick Jones, a powerless jack of all trades of the MU. This is a jumping on point, and I can't recommend this book enough, one of my favorite titles every month.

WHA HUH (RES) $3.99- Well this is resolicited. I was never quite sure what the reason was for not getting this out with the What If issues, however I have already read one poor review, and at $4 with such a delay, the last thing fans are going to be glad they did... is paid for this. Color me worried.

YOUNG AVENGERS #6 $2.99- This is right up there with Runaways, and let me tell you if my review of that sounded confusing, it is because these two comics pack so much in. We are about to see the results of what happens when an evil man... comes back through time for his younger, and not yet evil self. And what happens when the younger self kills the evil man. See what I mean? If you were reading it, simple as subtraction. And that is just one of the great characters in this book!

1 comment:

Kev said...

Not a bad week for comics. I am just hoping that I don't get Young Avengers and Runaways hopelessly confused in my mind (what's that? You say Doctor Doom isn't Iron Lad's father? Hmmm...). I like both titles, but my poor brain can't deal with them both in the same sitting ;)

I'm also picking up Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere this week. It seems I am unable to resist anything with his name in the title. I hope Wha Huh? is good. If DD: Father is anything better than disastrous, I will be surprised, frankly. Unless Joe Q has someone else doing the interior art.

Oh, and comics a day late for me, this week, on account of the bank holiday, so who knows when I will get to read them. I look forward to your Panel to Panel reviews ;)