Monday, August 08, 2005

Comics To Come

SUPERGIRL #0 $2.99- This issue is a reprint of a Batman/Superman (Superman/Batman) issue. It was Supergirl's last appearance in that series. I stopped getting S/B awhile back. So this will be new for me. I suppose some others might have reason to gripe.

SUPERGIRL #1 $2.99- This issue is by Jeph Loeb, while I was less then taken by his Batman/Superman book, I was taken with his rendition of Supergirl. As such I have very high hopes for this series. Of all the books this week, my opinion could be drastically changed upon seeing this issue.

GRAVITY #3 (OF 5) $2.99- I know, pretty much since the beginning, I have done nothing but rave about this book. Devoting blogs to it even. I think it is because it has so many of the aspects that I loved about Spider-Man. The Marvel Universe flies around our young and naive hero (from Wisconsin), and it would be safe to say, that both the hero and the readers are in for a wild ride. If you want something both fresh and nostalgic, unique and old school, go ask your comic guy to grab back issues and then bring yourself up to date. It's only five issues.

HOUSE OF M #5 (OF 8) $2.99- One of the best things about this "event" is that it flies by, every two weeks a new issue. And despite what some will say, this is 98% self-contained, if you are wondering about the FF or Spidey, pick up their tie-ins. Otherwise just assume they are going out of their minds too. This is by far the easiest event I have had the pleasure of partaking in.

KABUKI REFLECTIONS BOOK #5 $5.99- Does anyone know what this is? No... Anyone? Oh, well I can tell you, it is a must have. A constant negative that I hear made against David Mack is, "Oh, I love the art, but it takes an hour to read a story." Well, now you can just focus on the art, on the craft, on the pure magic this man brings to his work. If you haven't read Mack... this is the one book to seek out and buy. Trust me, others will either follow or they won't, but you won't walk away disappointed.

MARVEL NEMESIS IMPERFECTS #4 (OF 6) $2.99- I am getting this again (I stopped after issue one) for the Daredevil appearance. I am a completist, and it is easier to get the issues now then scramble for them later. "But Justin," you say, "it is a video game tie-in, and thus out of continuity. You don't have to get it." And you would be right, but I gave up on being logical with myself a long time ago.

NEW WARRIORS #3 (OF 6) $2.99- While not as polished as Gravity, this is a very fun and funny book. A group of heroes travel around the midwest solving the problems that plague you and I, all while the cameras are rolling. I read in an early review that this is the best Skottie Young's (artist) work has ever been. I can't wait to see what kooky adventure comes with the middle of this mini.

ULTIMATES ANNUAL #1 (MR) $3.99- Yeah, the annuals are back. And this would be the only one for the Ultimate universe that I am getting. I am really beginning to hate paying an extra dollar for a cardstock cover. Let's hope this annual packs bang for the buck. Wait, every issue of Ultimates is cardstock cover, maybe I am paying for extra pages!! Nah...

STAN LEE COMIC BOOK GREATS VOL 1 MADMEN OF COMICS DVD PI- I have no idea what this is about, but guaranteed if I can find it to rent (or... buy) then a review on this blog will follow, I love comic-related films, but most of all I love those with passion and historical reference.

THUNDERCATS SEASON 1 VOL 1 DVD SET- Ok, the really sad admission. I know nostalgia has colored my perception of this show. I also know that the fact that I named my first grade reading group, "The Thundercats", only affirms my delusion. But I will also try to rent (*sigh* or buy) this. Okay, I know, it mostly sucked, but that tomato toss was uncalled for.

There you go another week of expectations ... scribbled all over the web. Check back Thursday to see me curse at the reality that I purchase alot of crap.

No comments: