Thursday, August 25, 2005

Panel To Panel Reviews

CONAN #19 (MR) $2.99-This was a fine story, I quite enjoy the tales that fall somewhere just beyond illusion. This title is still not as great to me as it should be considering the immense talent that builds the issues each month. Still I stick by Conan, there are plenty of good aspects for any fan to appreciate

DAREDEVIL #76 $2.99- This was my best of the week. I suppose for some who know my collecting habits and the bulk of my collection, then that statement would come as no surprise. However, while this title has come close to being my favorite overall, for many of the preceding issues that was just not going to happen. Maybe it was seeing Daredevil accomplish something worthwhile. Maybe it was seeing him smile again. Still all good things must come to an end, that being said, however, this is the most exciting issue of DD in months. Jump on now. This is the perfect time.

DAREDEVIL VS PUNISHER #3 (OF 6) (MR) $2.99- I will give this series credit, it has built up a fine amount of tension for the Punisher to want to go after Daredevil. After three issues of having DD be an otherwise pain in the ass, Punisher has had enough. With three issues left I can't see the fight really coming to fruition next month. But I will be here to see what does happen.

DEFENDERS #2(OF 5) $2.99- I like the team-up on this book. And no I am not talking about the actual Defenders, but rather the creative team. There is alot going on beneath the book's silliness. If you want to see a book that embraces Marvel mayhem in a whole new way. Pick up the Defenders.

MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #17 $2.99- It seems that some of the writer's best ideas need a few issues to come to a fine boil. From the inventive results of a new designer drug, to the results of our arc's villian. The only thing stil left to be desired is some better defined art, every issue since #12 has felt like a fill-in.

SPIDER-MAN: HoM #3(OF 5) $2.99- This series is a strong one, and serves well as my only tie-in series to House of M. This issue in particular had some strong themes that have always resonated nicely in any Spider-Man series. The bigotry that comes from the assumption that Spider-Man is probably a mutant, and the hatred that follows. The theme is reversed, mutants are praised and placed highly in this HoM world, and it has just been found out that Peter Parker is only a human with powers. The struggles are strong still. The only thing I found off-putting was the ending, but I have no doubt that Mark Waid (writer) has a good explanation. The art of Salvador Larocca has been great as well.

WOLVERINE #31 (MR) $2.50- I will be the first to admit, this finale left me less than impressed. Mark Millar has built such a fitting epic in the last several issues, I expected this one to believably follow suit. It is a fine finale issue... everything is placed neatly where it can be, and other mysteries are left to solve at another time. I can't fault this issue very much, it did what it was designed to do, it concluded an amazing run, I just wonder why I did not enjoy it more.

No comments: