Thursday, August 11, 2005

No Rest for the Wicked

I think I drew the short end of the stick today, or the long end depending on how you look at it. If you were my wife you would, with a great deal of certainty state that because I did not work, and shared the same lack of sleep schedule, I should stay up. I would be inclined to agree, if I felt I could actually do that.

Then if you are my little brother, who stayed up through the night playing video games, again you would state, that my sleep, however miniscule... is far more than he recieved. That one is definetly more of a stretch, as I remember 16, and the independence in one's decisions, dictates the old saying, "No one's fault but your own."

Now if you are my son, who is being watched by me, then you feel you have the short end of the stick. Simply because the only adult who is giving Matthew time... is me. And that is a sad state of affairs indeed. Constantly being shushed so that his, by far, more favorable company can just... lay there. Yes indeed, one might call the Twilight Zone in such a situation.

And me, well I am still dealing with more than a few things... and since I was a kid the best way to sort my problems was to write. It's not working. There is good news... Becky is getting a raise, and she gets an "extra" paycheck tomorrow. And a new manager (which she has been clamoring for) so all appears to be coming together slowly in Karguth County.

At the very least, on paper.

1 comment:

Darediva said...

I know all about lack of sleep. And also how people think that because you don't have a nine to five job, you don't "work". For the better part of the past ten years, once I stopped carrying home a regular paycheck, whatever I did with my time was not valued, no matter if that included housework, shopping, bill paying, errand running, running my home business, whatever.

Because you don't punch a time clock, your time is free and available for everyone else to direct in its use. This is not a new concept, my dear Mr. Mom, but it still isn't right. I know your pain. Here, have an RC Cola and a Moon Pie. It'll be all better.