Friday, August 05, 2005

Panel-To-Panel Reviews

JUSTICE #1 (OF 12) $2.99- This was a baffling first issue. A wordy representation of the end of the DC Universe. Strategic explosions all over the world. And the heroes are truly more human than I have seen in the DC Universe, since Identity Crisis. Oh, except for one thing, it's all a dream, well a dream shared by several people. And those people, are quite a few (if not all of the villians) of the DCU. So, while the beginning is confusing with commentary seeming to come from Superman (seemingly the last survivor of Earth also) but after the dream is revealed, we are taken through to one villian imparticular. Lex Luthor. And he's got a plan, to save the world... from the heroes. Add that cool twist with the Alex Ross art, and you got a book that is hard not to like, at least a bit.

ARANA HEART OF THE SPIDER #6 $2.99- Well, I have to say, though, I haven't finished this book, I can finally say something has me interested. A young girl (our hero) stops a shooting and saves her enemy. It doesn't surprise me, and it really should not surprise me that this makes a chink in the villian's armor, but it did. I will really wish I had more to hold with this title, but this is the last issue.

DAREDEVIL FATHER DIRECTORS CUT #1 $2.99- Wow, this... this ticked me off as much as I thought. Yeah, it was a dollar less than originally, with a half sketch cover, and 4 or 5 extra sketch pages. But see, I was stupid enough to pay $1 more for it the first time... a long time ago! I mean I just supported an issue that I was completely against. I feel... so dirty.

DAREDEVIL REDEMPTION #6 (OF 6) (MR) $2.99- Alright, this was the best of the week. David Hines just earned that spot for best mini-series in the last year. And the Gaydos art evoked all the emotion. It took twists the whole series I never saw coming, this finale was no exception. This is a must read, again and again.

MARVEL ADVENTURES SPIDER-MAN #6 $2.50- I love when a comic takes a different route than the classic hero/ villian clash. Sean McKeever pulls no punches here. The hero goes in over his head, and the audience knows it... as his butt is quickly handed to him. We see a sad side of Sandman. And while the hero and villian won't be going out for coffee. I think this comic teaches more than a few important lessons. Money can't buy happiness. Life is valued above all else. And Aunt May is pretty smart. Bring us the rest of the supporting cast McKeever. I am ready to see your Mary Jane again.

MARVEL TEAM-UP #11 $2.99- This was my runner-up for best of the week. Kirkman pops me hard on the funny bone. So, I won't hold it against him that he took inspiration from my fan fic. Seriously, this series just came so close. It was just so great. If you like funny, and you like someone knowing your favorite characters... or introducing you to a few more. Take a ride on Team-Up.

NEW AVENGERS #8 $2.50- Tainted by Jenkins. Yet, I really liked this issue, Spider-Woman totally rocked the casba. She's a bad mamma-jamma. Woah, flashback to bad slang. Oh and the last splash page is worth the visit alone. Oh, and can anyone tell me what Wolverine has stuck to his head when he lands?

All in all, it was not a bad week. In fact, the only bad part being I had to deal with my family staring at me while I chuckled at Team-Up. Oh, also, has anyone read the 1602: The New World is worth $3.50?

4 comments:

BULLSEYE said...

Well alrighty then!

Kev said...

I agree with you about DD:R. A great end to an excellent mini. One to add to the TPB list, I think. MTU is coming on holiday with me, and the kids loved the Marvel Adventures Spidey :-)

I had DD:F Director's Cut in my pull bag when I got to the shop, but declined to purchase it. They already think I am the customer from hell, I'm sure (asking for things no-one has ever heard of LOL), so why not reinforce that opinion? ;)

Justin said...

You do indeed learn something new everyday, now if only I could cook... I would enjoy learning of cheese cakes. Thanks all the same. :-)

Darediva said...

DD:R...wow, what an excellent read! I will have to get the trade to this one or I will wear out the singles.

Twist and turns at the end that just punctuated the fine writing and art in this one. Not to mention how "close to home" this tale felt.