Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Riddle Remembered

I didn't grow up with the Adam West version of Batman. I grew up hearing everything about it... see when one is a comic fan, this is a generational connector for other family members (or they think it is). And really one cannot help but see the effective simplicity of the series, it was just all out fun and excitement. We can all look back now and wonder why the Batcave's biggest foe seemed to be someone with a trigger finger on a label maker. But there were characterizations... mannerisms that stuck. And I think none better than Frank Gorshin's Riddler... say what you will about the comic before the show... or the show after the comic. One thing is true Gorshin did the job superbly. Perhaps, the best thing I can think is that when my Grandmother saw Batman Forever, the one comment that stuck in my mind, "Jim Carrey doesn't hold a candle to the original... the man with the rubber face." I know others will talk about this, but I wanted to add my thoughts, as a most casual and admiring observer.

1 comment:

Darediva said...

Ahhh...the original Batman tv series. I was still a kid, and we used to get homework done so we could watch the kitsch-laden show every week. We had all kinds of stupid "bat-sayings" (Same bat-time, same bat-channel), and it was "Holy (insert pun here), Batman" for everything.

BAM! POW! CRUNCH!