Monday, May 16, 2005

Origins

Today's blog is brought to you by: Pulse Your Friendly Neighborhood Comic Information Site

Why do you read comics?

I think I read comics for the same reasons most people do. First and foremost is nostalgia. To be this addicted I had to have started young. I have a fondness for Spider-Man, my first comic series. And it is rare but nostalgia can occur from series to series. I have a great rememberance of Spider-Man 2099 (my first spin-off of my regular Spidey habit), of Karl Kesel's run on Daredevil, and no doubt years from now, I will be nostalgic about She-Hulk or something like that. But I read comics today, because some of the best stories are being told, and I want to enjoy them while I can. And I love the escape.

What are the things that first got you into comics and what keeps you reading?

Some of the first things that hooked me ... was the fluid and operatic storytelling. Everything was larger than life, and despite the fact that I would have been in way over my head, I would have traded places with Spidey any day. I still read today, because comics are addictive by nature, I find it takes alot for me to leave a comic. Usually a conflict of morals and beliefs. It is easy to keep me reading, just pretty hard to get me to stop.

Was there ever a time when you stopped reading comics?

The only time I have stopped entirely was because I could no longer afford to do so. That was a long time ago. In fact, it was back when I was dependent on trips to the grocery store with my mom and dad. How long ago was it that comics were lining the checkout lanes? That should give you some idea.

What brought you back?

The good times of Karl Kesel's Daredevil. And watching with pure joy the evolution of an up and comer Cary Nord. Then... dropping my jaw at the raw and sketchy pencils of Gene Colan. I don't think comics will ever be that good for me again. But they will come pretty close. Nostalgia and escape just thinking about it. *sigh*

No comments: