Monday, May 09, 2005

Free Comics Part 1

If you missed May 7th and a trip to your local shop for some free loot. Well, then no doubt you missed out. The following will critique each of the 19 free comic books that I managed to snag during that day. A large amount for my small town... and I even missed out on a couple I could have gotten at a later time. It seems that in the local bookstore free comic day was a huge success.

Bone Sharps, Cowboys and Thunder Lizards- This is an eye-catching cover. I am not so sure how the design of the issue itself stood out. They chose to have their booklet made in what I can only say, is a wide-screen format. Right off the bat I am pulled in with the silly "THE FOLLOWING PREVIEW HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR ALL AUDIENCES" annoying at a movie theatre ... quite original in a comic. It goes on to give a web address. For which... the tagline shares a sentiment to mirror my thinking. "Comics about scientists... what a dangerous experiment." The story is really quite involved, at times highly ficticious, and stays true to being a period piece. Great mystery to uncover in the time of the Wild West. Perhaps another favorite part to this is a behind the scenes look at the end, it cements the fact that this was truly a labor of love. And upon viewing the website, I will at least be picking up one of their projects. Mission Accomplished.

Bongo Comics Giveaway- This one is a pretty straightfoward selection from Bongo. And there is nothing wrong with that. Marvel and DC have been putting their heavy hitters to bat on Comic Day, why should the Simpsons and Futurama not be the key players in this book? One thing I am looking for in this year's selection of books is how available they make future copies to a reader. Unless you are Marvel, DC, or Image (on rare occasion) you are going to have to do a bit more than "Ask for it at your comic retailer" That is just not an effective selling point. Especially with the selections in the back of the book, which attracted me the most Roswell and Heroes Anonymous... neither of which have anything at all to do with the Simpsons. Given the option of searching the web, or going to a comic shop to inquire and then get stared at and finally given the cliche answer "I will see what I can do." I will take my chances from the comfort of my own home.

Wizard Top 100 Trade Paperbacks of all Time- This is a great resource... really. This may well be my most reused find from FCBD. There is something to be said for choosing to do a free comic book about Comic Books... and what better format than the TPB. Readily available at many many fine venues... and with a resource like this ... it is a safe bet that you get your money's worth. This is the type of thing you take with you out of town. You hit a shop or a bookstore... pull it out, and make an informed purchase. Wizard gets Kudos for giving a comic that is suitable for both the new collector or the old. Or those wanting something a bit more relaxed to accompany Tolstoy and Dostoevsky on the bookshelf.

Flare- This issue is bogged down by a rather unfortunate problem. It is absolutely dripping in the tired reasoning that "Sex Sells". and however true it may be... to have a different approach might keep a new customer. Heroic Publishing is a well-crafted attempt to cash in on the fleeting concept that once made Image popular... flashy art alone will sell a comic. There is very little originality to be seen in the first preview. In fact it is so bogged down in stuff we have seen before, that a lack of back story is hardly noticable. I don't know Flare's powers, but I assume they are in a pretty broad range... an explanation would have been nice... but it is very very far from necessary. The next two stories were a bit more fun. They both had a Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe detective feel, that I just devour. The website appears to be very helpful. But if I do purchase anything, it will have to stretch the norm alot more... I am already paying for Super Hero stories... and getting alot better stories.

Johnny Raygun Freebie FCBD Edition- This is a fun little introduction to a comic that doesn't want to be taken seriously. It is not my kind of humor, but there is alot of heart here. It seems to be a nice addition to those that like there comics to poke a bit of fun... and play with the rules a bit. The publisher page at the end made me smile... looks to be a lot of work for minimal pay-off. I might consider tracking this down. Oh, and Publishers... I know you love your retailer... the brick and mortar guys... I love mine too. But that doesn't mean you are not going to be the best chance of me getting your comic. So thanks for the web address, yet again.

Devil's Due Press- This was a pretty good selection I have to say. I am not a fan of GI Joe. So I tried to read this and inevitably gave up from lack of interest. But in a second story there is a second story, about a group of teens given mysterious "powers" being shadowed by the government and unable to tell their parents. Sound familiar. Teen comics are trying to be a growing trend in the Marvel Universe. Defex showed a pretty strong grasp on plot, art, and character interaction. And since it is creator Marv Wolfman, I might just have to seek this out. Now... on the back of this comic is another offering from Udon ... no doubt to appeal to the Manga crowd. Their comic is from a licensed property of Capcom (a video game company) .

Marvel Adventures- Okay, I have to admit that I am hoping that this worked for Marvel. Because it was very good idea in theory. Take one property of escalating box office popularity... and another property which has Marvel investors hoping it will be gaining popularity in the coming months, and give the kiddos a taste for free... of both Spider-Man and The Fantastic Four. These is probably one of the more popular comics of the Silver Age... when Spidey tries to join with the FF... he wants money and public recognition. Anyway, a nice little retelling with some good art to go along. But you know, when I was a kid, I wanted nothing more than a peek at what makes those cogs turn, I wanted to know how to do everything to make my own comic. Well, Marvel grants that wish with an additional sneak peek "behind the scenes". I think it gets the point across... in a straightfoward fashion. I know for other reviews I have been saying... they need an alternative to the "go see your retailer" This is one bunch of titles you should be able to find with relative ease. For more on what Marvel has to offer your kids visit the above website... for more on the company in general visit www.marvel.com .


BUZZBOY ROBOY MAJOR DAMAGE TRIPLE FROSTED FUN - Long title ... Fun cover. "Who knew comics could be this much fun again?!" This is a question that appeals to both the nostalgia-riddled and the potential new customer. If Flight was my favorite surprise of FCBD... Buzzboy was the comic that met and exceeded my expectations. From the get-go this comic proved it has alot of love for animation... and simplicity. Leave it to the Speedster of the super team to constantly be doing a running commentary. The first story is pretty straightfoward... but has loads of fun. A group of kids get jumbled up in a time-traveling mess. Thanks to a bad guy from an alternate reality. Things get wrapped up in outrageous fashion... and then you are treated to a "How To Draw" segment. Even more impressive than the first story, is the one about Major Damage. A little boy abducted by aliens and turned into one of his favorite heroes. This is the story of his journey back to his own house... looking nothing like the little boy he was. It is touching and very well illustrated... it shows the down side of wanting something, and then regretting the results. A frequent lesson, but still an important one when told so well. This is most definetly a comic I will be seeking out. Yet another is the story of Roboy ... told quite well by peering through the scrap book of a supporting character... there is a Disney-esque parody. And a story of a cartoon... updated for the Techno-age. I question the comic book's Halloween setting ... but it no doubt helped to fuel Roboy's hilarity. Through each story you are treated to a "How to Draw" segment. And at the tale end is all sorts of goodies. Including a then teenage comic artist creation of a super team, and now that he is famous his jaw-dropping rendition... very inspiring. Each of the websites I have highlighted promise fun and games... and though I have not seen them yet. I have no doubt they deliver. And since they were kind enough to plug a title that I was not able to get, I will also put them here. Amelia Rules! . Also visit www.kidslovecomics.com

Okay, this is the first installment of FCBD reviews. I hope it was informative. I guess since most retailers and even bookstores and such might be scrambling to get rid of some of their selection. I will give my top recommendation now and that is Image's offering "Flight". See ya tomorrow with a gaggle full of comic reviews.

1 comment:

Darediva said...

I need to visit your LCS. Wow, what a bunch of fun stuff! Colour me greeeeeeen with envy.