Thursday, May 26, 2005

MARVEL PREVIEWS JUNE 2005- This is almost a throw-away book. I think I discussed this some time ago. But 95% of the information in this book, I can find somewhere else for free. One of the things this does though, is remind me to place my orders, and do so in a time that my LCS would also have access to these future solicits. And for 99 cents. It is a small price to pay to insure I get everything I ask for.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #520 $2.25- This is the one title that tackles Spidey's move to the Avengers the best. There is a balance to writing Spider-Man as a character, and how he contrasts Peter Parker. It is much like the Internet surge of people with screen names pretending to be one thing. And then getting off-line to assume their "normal" identity. The mask allows him to embrace a carefree nature. He is not immature... he is not silly to be silly. The best writers show that he has a calculating scientific mind... even in combat. And JMS is one of those writers... regardless of Sins Past. I think he writes Spidey/ Peter Parker very well.

POWER PACK #3 (OF 4) $2.99- This has been a good series. In that it is not even close to being muddled in continuity. Every character is different from each other. And it has not been as formulaic with villians as I thought it would be. From reading the solicits I thought that lizard creature was going to be the main nemesis through out. Much like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Shredder. That got really old really fast. This series has been surprisingly refreshing. Though I still chuckle at seeing young Katie Powers in GLA.

RUNAWAYS #4 $2.99- Well the Runaways got their man. Another teenager with powers, who is said could destroy all the heroes in the MU. But hot on their trail is a team of former teen heroes Excelsior, which is falling apart. The mystery is coming together nicely... and I have a feeling this will be the series I talk about for a long time to come.

SECRET WAR FROM FILES OF NICK FURY $3.99- Can you say "seemingly useless tie-in"... I knew you could. Bendis is telling a tale... which was all hype... a year and a half ago. And even then I can remember thinking Do we need another Secret War? And after reading the first issue, I could honestly say I was hooked. But now I find myself thinking Do I need to buy a tie-in issue? This time the answer is no, if it is not in my box, then I won't buy it.

ULTIMATES 2 #6 $2.99- Having missed out on quite a bit of the first series. I can say that this second series has been a hell of a ride. At first glance Ultimates seems like a step back all flash and not substance. But I tell you if that is your reason for not buying you are missing out. This is the kind of comic that makes you forget you are reading a comic book at all. I felt for Bruce Banner... and I felt for Thor... two characters I couldn't care less about. I wanted to scream at my comic... "Damn it Bruce, they tricked you"... and I let out a sigh of relief as his eyes turned green before he was seemingly blown up and left for dead. And Thor... the poor bastard... his team mates think he has lost his mind... and regardless of if he is. It should not have gone down like it did. So I look forward to this issue with an anticipation I never felt for these characters in the MU... I wait for the Ultimate fix I can get.