Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Comics to Come

CONAN #16 $2.99- Back to the norm for this title as Cary Nord returns with Kurt Busiek for the start of a fresh arc. This title is one that is easy to hold on to, even if you are not a fan of what you have experienced as Conan, this is always a solid story with highly complimentary art. Aided by DD colorist Dave Stewart this is my sleeper title. No doubt.

BLACK PANTHER #4 $2.99- Romita Jr. is the reason I get this title. This is a competant title, but it just feels to be going nowhere. Add to that, there is not enough to care where it goes. Not to long until this arc ends... I will probably make my decision then.

DAREDEVIL #73 $2.99- I am seriously loving this arc. Religious in title.... powerful in tone. A series of (thus far) done in ones about the citizens of Hell's Kitchen. And the seemingly loose connection to Daredevil. Last issue was exploratory on so many levels. Familial relationships, the effects of crime, and the use and examination of vigilante justice on a most human level. No tights... just a man with a purpose.

MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #14 $2.99- I am fond of saying that Spidey is one of the easiest characters to read. Even at the worst of the title... something you remember or are fond of remains... the foundations of the characters. Marvel has really put that to the test as of late in most mainstream stuff. Hudlin (Black Panther) seems to want Peter Parker back to his roots, a noble effort to be sure. Honestly, I am weary of the application... I am hanging in there. Yet again it is not a bad story, it is just that there is a loose grasp on the characters and developments on a whole. Let's just say Peter David and Mike 'Ringo's title can't start soon enough. That is the return to the root of Spidey that I am anxious to see.

MARVEL MUST HAVES NYX #1-3 $4.99 - I plan to get this one, I asked for this.... whether or not my shop remembered is another story. I ended up snatching a copy of NYX#1 for a dollar, and my sister loved it. So I am picking this up to... plus I have been wanting a peek at the Marvel Must Haves.

SPIDER-MAN HUMAN TORCH #4 (OF 5) $2.99- This has been a fun fun fun comic. Sadly, it is winding down. The funny thing is, that even in it's time spanning, comic crossing, done in one format. I still love it. Slott made me love the FF, I would read the FF by him. I would say give the man a Spidey title (if not for the glut) it is long overdue. Dan Slott is writing the comics I have to read. And love to read month after month.

WOLVERINE #28 $2.25- Well, this time Romita, Jr. is not the only reason I am picking up this title. Millar is doing a fantastic job, he may not pull at the heart strings, and he can be a bit showy. But this is all Wolverine, and truth be told he is a bad ass. No matter what he is franchised to be. Claremont and Byrne knew it... Millar knew it. The guy making his new movie knows it. Sure the conflict of morality in recent years is great... but just because nothing is neater to see then a bad ass with a conscience.

YOUNG AVENGERS #4 $2.99- Guess what? The newbies... the amatuers... Those youngsters whose grandparents were in diapers when Captain America was recruited to fight for all things American and Just... yeah, um they were right. And Captain America and Iron Man... well they kind of locked them in a room for their own good. Big mistake. If you aren't getting this comic... it's a shame, literally there is probably something for everybody.

TALES FROM RIVERDALE DIGEST #2 $2.39- I decided to keep getting this, even though it is not a digest I normally enjoy. I am fairly straightforward on my Archie books, I like Jughead... I try to keep it that way. If I branch out to much, I might end up picking up the whole line of digests. I loved the yearbook format of the first issue. Well done, and loaded with bits of trivial knowledge and good humor. But on the whole... I don't like titles that feature the spin off characters. I don't care for Josie and the Pussycats... or Sabrina. But it is a small price to pay to find one obscure character I will enjoy.

COMICS BUYERS GUIDE JULY 2005 #1606 $5.99- Yeah, I thought it was time for a little reminder. This is a great publication. It doesn't rely on hype to fuel it's articles... and doesn't try to fill space with fluff. This is 244 pages of awesome information. Now they may not have hype... but they also don't have Wizard's sale #'s so if you know someone who is a fan of Star Wars... or who is hooked after the film. Give them a little nudge towards CBG this month, as The Revenge of the Sith will be featured throughout.

No comments: