Thursday, July 07, 2005

Looking to Greatness

Today has only seemed to bring me reflection. I feel a deep sorrow for the people lost, but mostly for the enigma of it all. I don't want to know that when I wake up tomorrow, when my son wakes up, that terrorism will always be there. Maybe it is because when I was a child, it was strangers, or some other danger that a cartoon dog in a trenchcoat said to steer clear of. It was guns and drugs and predjudice that we were at war with. That kids were to be wary of.

Now, well maybe the world has finally opened up around me. Maybe the thing to do, is to prove to our kids that history should be acknowledged. This is not a simple danger, I can't call for some silly caped vigilantes or Norse gods. The villians are real, and ruthless... the solution is elusive, but above all, we must preserve the ideals. The goodwill.

My children won't live in fear. Live each day... if you are my friend all I want you to do, is live each day to the fullest. And praise the real heroes, because as elusive as this disgusting, barbaric terrorism is we have hope. We have hope.

2 comments:

Kev said...

Actually, one of the things which has most impressed me about the response to the events in London, has been the goodwill and the solidarity which has been expressed across all sorts of borders, both physical and social. The news here today has featured the condemnation by religious leaders of all faiths of such acts of barbarism. Muslims and Christians, along with others, have spoken out roundly against the terrorist attacks, and have demonstrated that there is indeed hope that hate and terror will not prevail, and will not divide us.

In the same way that New York did in the wake of 9/11, the city and its people are refusing to bow to the fear of terrorism. And we know that we are being supported by brothers and sisters of all races, creeds and nationalities throughout the world. It's odd (and rather sad, I suppose) that it takes something like this for people to come together. But at least they still do so. That is the most important thing, after all.

You're right; there is hope.

Darediva said...

I have so much to say about this that I am going to take it over to my blog, but you very eloquently expressed the concerns AND hopes of your generation and for the one to follow.

Well said, amigo.