Saturday, July 23, 2005

Eisners, Surprises, and Crossovers... Oh My

Ok, so I have decided to kind of jumble all my blog stuff together. And there is alot to talk about so bear with me. First off, I am pretty sure that I have not been doing any follow-ups to my Comics To Come. Which is fine I guess. But really, I should at least touch base if something caught my eye. Makes it better for when I want to complain again.

So, I just want to go on record as saying this was a really good week. Now, I will be the first to tell you, I love Kesel, I love Slott... I like some silly in my supers. I always figure I don't prefer the grim and gritty. But then, I have to factor in my favorites this week. I thought Ultimates was more blood then I was used to. But it was all good. I mean pulls at the primal instinct, I may not like grim and gritty, but I love the anti-hero. And I think it has the line where I find I don't like it, is drawn in one simply factor. I have to care. If a hero kills somebody, I have to care, I have to think that in similar circumstances.... given similar abilities. I would have handed my vengeance out too.

See, I don't like the Punisher. It is all excess to me. I know he got his families killers a loong time ago. And even if he hadn't... there is no chance of finding them now. I just don't care. He secludes himself, he is absorbed in the mission. I mean really to me, reading it is as boring as watching an account crack numbers all day. I get why he feels he has to do it, but I don't necessarily want to follow him to work.

But in Ultimates, I was there with Hawkeye. I watched his son die... and I wanted a reaction. Was it graphic ... yes. Was it brutal... yes. But I couldn't help but feel it was justified. I couldn't do it. But I would want to.

And Wolverine. He is up there with the Punisher at times, I like him, but I never thought I would be following his solo title. And he is bad-ass. But again it was personal... to an insane degree, but all the same... I may not want all the carnage I see. I have a feeling, that regardless of being brain-washed, if I hurt my friends... it wouldn't end in revenge. It would be a battle with myself.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man also redeemed it's mediocre standings with me. It is amazing how one issue ... nay one panel can change your perception. And sadly, I left HoM #4 ... at the shop. Forgotten. I am crossing my fingers it is there whenever I make it back. (This is my crossovers part of the title, by the way)


Eisner Award winners 2005 (Instead of taking up more space, I decided to make comments red)

The awards were made over the weekend at the Comic-Con International in San Diego:

Best Limited Series: DC: The New Frontier, by Darwyn Cooke (DC)- Watch out for this guy. Great stuff. I plan on becoming a serious fan when he writes the new Spirit series for DC.
Best Anthology: Michael Chabon Presents The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist- This is a pretty good grouping of talent, in fact my only gripe is in pricing. Oh, read Kavelier and Clay
Best Graphic Album—Reprint: Bone One Volume Edition, by Jeff Smith - This is a great book. An indy pushing it's way into schools. Great art, great writing, great price.
Best Writer: Brian K. Vaughan, Runaways (Marvel)- If you aren't reading Runaways, well you probably won't strart because of what I say, however, if he writes something you are remotely interested in, then get it. You will not be disappointed.
Best Lettering: Todd Klein, Promethea- I now have the first trade. And even in what little I have read of it. I will bet it is safe to say that Todd is very deserving of this award.
Talent Deserving of Wider Recognition: Sean McKeever (Gravity, Gravity, Gravity!(this was not listed ;))- This is the one win that I most agree with. Sean McKeever writes like I would hope to write. He is a little funny, he knows his history without the reader needing to swim in it. I really wish him all the best.
Best Comics-Related Book: Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book, by Gerard Jones- A friend of mine has this book, so it would have likely gone under my radar, so when her glowing recommendation is provided. I will purchase this... and my hands can stop twitching.
(Basic Books)Hall of Fame: Voters’ choices: Gene Colan- Nice to see Colan get recognition... for whatever the hell this is.
Promising Newcomer Award: Chris Bailey (Major Damage)- Ok, I strongly agree with this one too. I instantly fell in love with Major Damage, since my taste at Free Comic Book Day. Sadly his title is sitting on my "need to pick up" list.

1 comment:

Kev said...

I am about to embark upon Geeks, Gangsters etc (although I have had to battle my urge to read Persepolis first). So I will let you know how great it is as soon as I am done.

And it is nothing short of outrageous that you have not finished reading Promethea. I know you have other things to read, but this is Alan Moore's Promethea! Please! It deserves better treatment than that ;)

Anyway, nice blog; next time remember not to correct your spelling errors, though...