Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Comics To Come

CONAN #18 (MR) $2.99- I wish I could tell you what is going on in this title, but to be quite honest, Conan has hardly ever held my interest. Kurt Busiek (writer) is accomplished, a favorite of mine for quite some time, and Cary Nord (co-artist) is one of my absolute hands down favorite artist. With Dave Stewart adding his usual spectacular colors, this comic has everything to offer, but very little of it appeals to me.

GROUNDED #1 (OF 6) $2.95- If I can find this I think it will be an excellent addition. It takes super-hero into the realm of child fantasy. And what one child does when he is confined to his room... grounded. The cover was enough to grab me, the premise was enough to keep me.

DAREDEVIL #75 $3.99- Double-sized finale, saliva-dripping, finger-twitching finale. Daredevil had a hell of year. Come to think of it, since the start of Volume 2 it has been a hell of alot of hell. This story-arc has the powerful build that it's classic title eludes to... and even if the pay-off dulls, this has been well worth it to me.

DEFENDERS #1 (OF 5) $2.99- Funny finds it's way to Marvel. And lately Marvel humor has just had me smiling from ear to ear. I hope this is in the same field as She-Hulk, Gravity, and New Warriors. This may be the escape needed that I spoke about earlier. Then again, it might not.

GLA #4 (OF 4) $2.99- Sadly the conclusion of this is going to have to wait. My comic shop missed out on issue 3. This is the team that time wants to forget... but the heart of the series is in the characters. Quirky and well meaning, mixed with the dark and gritty world that comics have been in.

HOUSE OF M #4 (OF 8) $2.99- Don't look now, but it's back. And the mystery of M continues in full force. Time to play name that cameo. We are halfway through, and I am still tingly thinking of the possibilities of what's to come. Oh that's right, issue 5 is only have to wait two weeks... this has to be my favorite event ever.

MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #16 $2.99- I want to like this series. I want to like what Hudlin(writer) is building here. But this just doesn't have the pull that Millar's preceding run had before. I feel like I want the big twist as much as Hudlin wants to give it. There is something big here because if not... the upcoming Spidey crossover will be a cautious endeavor for me.

SECRETS OF THE HOUSE OF M #1 $3.99- They snagged me, not only do I want this, but I think I might need it. Just to pull together pieces of this miniseries that I have not figured out, but maybe should have. I hope Marvel has enough sense not to give too much away, a silly worry, but they have done it before.

SPIDER-MAN HOUSE OF M #2 (OF 5) $2.99- I like what the first issue had to offer. Peter Parker has everything he ever wanted. He has Gwen Stacy... he has Uncle Ben... fame and fortune. He just has to hide the fact that he is not a mutant. Because if anyone finds out... everything he holds so close... will be ripped apart. I would not mind having a front seat to the unraveling.

ULTIMATES 2 #7 $2.99- I have to have a Mark Millar story every month. And Ultimates is it. Every month it feels like the Ultimates world is your own. You realize that each of it's flawed heroes has come through so much. And it is nice to see it in such crisp clear vision. If Millar left this series, I have to think that I would to.

WOLVERINE #30 $2.50- Okay, so this is yet another Millar title, but it is also almost the end of his run. And with him leaves artist John Romita Jr., but unlike Ultimates, I will give this title the benefit of seeing what the next writer is going to do. It is a riveting story, of how one man can have his life torn apart, and the only tools he has to fix it, will help to kill everyone responsible.

So there, as I predicted Marvel piled it on this week. Which pretty much guarantees I will follow up on some of these titles after reading.

No comments: