Friday, June 10, 2005

TGIF

Life is very strange. Fridays used to mean something to me at one point. It signified the end of a week, and I had the weekend (in theory) to fool around. And now it is quite the opposite. I love my week, I can take my time... sort through stuff. And the weekend is for scrambling to meet obligations. And in this way, I feel cut off from most of the population. I can no longer relate to those universal topics, I suppose I never could anyway, at least not in a whole conversations. But I could nod and be thankful when my dad would say, "Boy I am glad it is Friday..."

I guess in truth I will probably come back to a point of at least almost meshing with the rest of the world. But for now at least it gives me several days to be glad for... in exchange for two I am not so happy with. Not a bad trade off in the end, I guess.

Oh yeah, and just cause I know you can still find this if you look:

A Dozen Reasons To Buy Gravity, which Arrives In Stores Wednesday, June 8 (copied from McKeever's website)

1. GRAVITY is an action-packed, character-driven, cameo-lovin' look at Marvel New York through the eyes of a newcomer.

2. He's a brand-spanking-new Marvel hero--here's your chance to get in on the ground floor and support new characters!

3. Black Death is the coolest-looking new villain since Typeface!

4. Clean, crisp, candy-like art from Mike Norton & Jonathan Glapion and vibrant colors from Guru eFX.

5. Blue Beetle's goggles live on!

6. Remember back in the old days when Spider-Man was a single college guy? Me too! And I'm the guy writing GRAVITY!

7. GRAVITY has been pre-canceled at #5 for your protection!

8. The collection will be digest-sized, which is cool, but if you want to see Mike's wonderful art in its originally-intended size, you'd better buy the comics!

9. Joe Quesada will have your babies!*

10. Because Hawkeye would have wanted it that way.

11. My mom says it's "fresh"!

12. If you don't, I'll come to your home and cry, and that's something you just can't un-see, you know?

*If and when medical science makes this possible, and even then, probably not

In honor of the release of GRAVITY #1, I'll be at The Laughing Ogre in Columbus, Ohio, on June 8 from open to close! That's eleven hours! Don't let me get lonely, okay? If you come in and don't see me, just ask--I'm there somewhere!

3 comments:

Darediva said...

You are right about the shift in weekends. My only standing social obligation is on Sunday to take my mother lunch at the nursing home, and sometimes that feels like such a chore. (Even though I keep reminding myself what she did for me the first 18 years.)

Gravity sounds like a fun read, and had I lived anywhere NEAR Columbus, I would have been at "The Laughing Ogre" to meet him. That has to be a cool LCS with a name like that.

Justin said...

I have heard it is... in fact I heard the owner is one of the judges for the Eisner awards. So, yeah, I would have liked to gone too ;)

Kev said...

I liked Gravity #1 much more than I thought I would, actually. It was a great read. McKeever writes this new character so well.

I have been considering having a T shirt printed with the slogan *Thank God it's Monday*.