Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Batman Waits

I had big plans today. I was going to sit in a crowded theatre and enjoy my first summer blockbuster. It must be nice to be as delusional as I am some times. I should have known the closest thing I was going to see to a rubber suit, was a rubber room. My son was ill today, and it is not as if it took anything away from my day. We went along as normal.

I piddled at the computer, glancing at far too many auctions (I am still kicking myself for Ebay screwing up my sign in for a set of 11 Batman Adventures issues). Then I scoured the net for a new online comic shop, as a last resort I went to Mile High, and true to form, the prices there were as delusional as I can be. So, that went nowhere... slowly.

Even as my day started to gain momentum and meaning. It was really almost over. I plopped on the couch (the catty couch) with a half-read Human Torch digest. And an Incredible Hulk novel. And promptly fell asleep. Let me get something across at this point. I don't nap... I haven't in probably close to three years. Not since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. Upon waking I quickly finished Human Torch. Really a good book, not great. But I really enjoy it. Pull it out and reread enjoy it.

Then I cracked the Incredible Hulk novel, by Peter David. I have no doubt I will really tear into this. I love Peter's style and I was already off to a good start. And then Becky wanted to watch a movie. This was not a debate... so much as what do we want to sit through that we have already seen. Luckily Becky picked up "About A Boy" which I had bought for her in late January for her birthday. I was not immediatly drawn to it. I mean, it was Hugh Grant being a pompous lazy arrogant self-centered... well you get that idea. But the truth is ... I don't mind it. And this time, I could relate to his character so much it was scary.

Except for the rich part. But he feels because he does not work. He is nothing. In the beginning he is content with that. I think rather that it had become far too routine, but the point being he was going along watching other people's lives being defined by one aspect. His day was meaningless, and so he felt his life followed suit. I can't help but feel that way, no matter how those who truly know my situation say... there are 10 other people who think I am a lazy layabout deadbeat. And I cannot help but agree on almost every level.

So, it hooked me, I have to say though the ending was a bit too cliche. The classic neglectful person running to meet the neglected at a concert, dance, etc. and hoping against hope they are not late... Jersey Girl anyone? But all that aside, it was great... because on a lot of levels every guy is pompous lazy arrogant self-centered... it is all we can do to realize that a tenth of the time. So to those who help every day. Thank you.

No comments: