Tuesday, June 28, 2005

If you got the money, honey...

Today was pretty typical. I have just been waiting in dread for the Fourth of July. I don’t even pretend that the holiday does not bother me anymore. I have also been looking into finding some sort of software for cataloguing and maintaining my comic book collection. Even looking into seeing what I am willing to part with at a garage sale. Quite a bit actually, but it also needs to be heavily mainstream. With little to no notice that comics are being sold though, I sincerely doubt anyone will give them a glance.

I need to suck it up and take my stuff to Ebay. I almost wish I did not have to, I wish a flea market or convention were an option. I have far too much that I am willing to part with for that to work though, let alone work successfully anyway. I just worry about the collector mentality, I know a lot about comics, but I am not even going to start to pretend I know anything about grading. With my collection now growing steadily from month to month, and the surge of about 900 comics that I bought and have not been able to rid myself of, I am more than convinced something needs to be done.

I am finally becoming accustomed to my budgetary restraints I put in place. I only hope that now they are working as well as I think. I find that having my own account, and “all” that extra birthday money, has meant relatively little in reality. I have not been able to keep an eye on it as well as I should. Silly me, I thought I would be the only one spending the money, why would I have to watch what I haven’t spent? Nevertheless, little bits go missing everyday, it does not bother me. It is just that I need to know how much I have to keep a good idea of how much I can spend, if I go one day thinking I can buy a TPB, only to find that after I bought it there is not enough to get through my normal month’s purchases… I mean my wife would most likely cover it or whatever. But then, what is the point?

I think my checking the account more frequently has made her realize that I at least want to be notified. I don’t mind missing out on a TPB if it means we avoid a fine this week… or some obscure charge the next week. In fact, the more things I want that I don’t get, the more pride it gives me really. I just don’t want my efforts to be for nothing, I want to know that I am being conscious of my obsession… er hobby.

2 comments:

Kev said...

Hmmm, so, it's not an obsession...riiight...

I wonder what Mr Kev would say about a separate account for comics? Might be pushing it a little far, perhaps?

Good luck with selling all your excess comics. I hope you manage to boost your account substantially by so doing...even if it is just to pay off the odd phone bill ;-)

Darediva said...

Talk to me about some software, as I might have an answer for you.