Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Comics Coming In February

Ah, February... the month of love. Love of Comics and this month is no different. There is alot that I want to spotlight. So without further delay: These books will be available for order the month of December and are scheduled to ship in February. Be sure to tell your local comics shop that you want a copy. I have linked to more info where I can.

Devil's Due Publishing (Publishers will be in bold)

KILLER 7 #1 32 pages, black and white, $2.95- based on a wildly wacky and suprisingly violent videogame. This comic is about an assassin with 7 split personalities. Each one is varied and completely different from the next. The real person is a wheelchair riding old man who in the back of his mind has to be wondering if this mission will be his last. I was more enthusiastic about the premise then I was in the game itself so I am glad to see this get comicbook treatment.

Atlantis Studios

The Adventures of Paula Peril 32 pages- This is Indiana Jones with a twist. If you like excitement in your comics than this should be a pretty good draw. I have been scouring the internet for the page I first saw about it. But with no luck. The writer got me psyched about this, and I his comments are liked directly above (scroll down when you get there). Ah well, if you feel like being adventurous in your comic buying head to the website linked above and check out the characters.

Claypool

Soulsearchers- Well, you have probably heard the pleas. Claypool is in some trouble. Now while I don't make it a point to support something just to save it. I do want to support something that looks good to me. And Peter David's powerful pun-filled parody on all things pop culture, is a perfectly passable example of such a product. (What that sort of thing worked for Stan Lee) Actually that is why I have decided to list indy titles first. One can always find a Marvel or DC book, but what if the book that comes next on the chopping block is that favorite title that you only get when you can afford?

Alias

ATOMIK MIKE #1 (32-pages, full-color monthly series)$3.50- This looks like genuine space-faring fun, with a bit of a twist. Space Raiders have been searching the galaxy looking for the next pile of loot. But what happens when the competion throws out a monkey wrench and turns the Captain (Mike) into a sapien of a more simian variety. Will the crew go bananas trying to turn Mike from a monkey back to a man. Ah who am I kidding... space and a monkey. 'Nuff said!

LIONS, TIGERS & BEARS TRADE PAPERBACK (offered again 112-pages, full-color trade paperback) $9.99- For those of you comic fans with kids you have probably heard of this series. I have read the first issue, and this is a well-written imaginative tale about a boy who moves from his hometown, and his only friends are four stuff animals, which his grandmother lovingly gave him. At night, however, the animals become his guardians. It's all ages fun as a boy adventures through new worlds, and it is artistically pleasing, with an animation style that is akin to some of the great family cartoons.

Archaia Studios Press

Mouse Guard #1- This looks like another delightful all-ages book. I highly recommend taking a peek at the preview I am linking to. The Mouse Guard follows three mice, who have to work together to keep a legacy that has been held for years. And a harmony that has existed just as long. I like these books because they show that the smallest creatures can have a big effect.


IDW PUBLISHING

TRANSFORMERS: BEAST WARS #1 32 pages, $2.99.- Pure nostalgia fueling this buy. I didn't like the transformers growing up. In fact, I didn't really like this show, but the characters were varied and exciting enough that it kept me watching the one part I did enjoy. Rat Trap. A snarky smart ass of a character who was never afraid to tell it like it was. I always love those characters. It is why Raphael was always my favorite character in the first cartoon series of TMNT (not the brooding pissed off version that came as a result of the movies) Rob Paulsen thanks for helping me to perfect my cutting wit.

FALLEN ANGEL #3 32 pages, $3.99.- Alright, I know it looks pricey, I do. But this is Peter David, this is fully painted interiors. This is dark, and magical, and mysterious. Oh yeah, and plenty of tit shots. That's right full frontal, and half sometimes backal I am sure. All I can say is if you see a preview... or leave a comment with Peter David (www.peterdavid.net) It is well worth a glance at the very least I think.

DARK HORSE COMICS

THE PERHAPANAUTS #4- For fans of the BPRD (from Hellboy) or even those who might become fans of Peter David's Soulsearchers, this is a similar vein. Paranormal investigators who ar quite paranormal themselves. Todd Dezago writing promises a quirky team dynamic, and hilarious storylines, and the artist's work seems to match quite well. Now, this is a four issue limited series, but I believe issues will be available through their site

STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC/REBELLION 25 CENT FLIP BOOK - 25 cents this is where the phrase to good to pass up comes in. This will be two new stories for KTOR (written by the talented John Jackson Miller) and Rebellion. Which promises to please those already getting the books and the newcomers who might jump on. I am not a huge Star Wars fan but even the artist in me says this always has the potential to be beat up reference material. But for all you Star Wars fans this is a good choice, heck it is even good if know a guy who is a Star Wars fans... give a little geek love this February.

ASPEN COMICS

ASPEN SWIMSUIT SPECIAL #1(32 pages, $2.99, Feb. 22)- Um, this needs no explaining... what?


IMAGE COMICS

ROCKETO, VOL. 1: THE JOURNEY TO THE HIDDEN SEA TP(304 pages, b and w, $24.99) This is a pretty big price tag I know. But from what I have heard this series appeals to a lot of people. It has the epic feel of LOTR, along with the adventure of swashbuckling fun with a bit of a sci-fi twist. I will probably have to wait on this one as my budget is pretty tight.

FELL #6 (24 pages, $1.99, in stores on Feb. 14)- Alright no excuses! You want a good done in one story... this is it. You want deep, sophisticated story telling that keeps you invested... this is it. You want murder mystery with a sympathetic smart lead... this it. Great art and Great story... it's all here. Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith. It's two bucks, ya cheap skate! Kick something to the curb and try a comic that leaves you feeling fat and happy, and your wallet fat and happy too.

And on that high note thus ends my Indy February picks. The links above will lead you to that particular companies solicits (most of the time). And while it may seem like it I did not list every company in existence, so keep your eyes peeled. Marvel and DC picks coming soon!

2 comments:

Kev said...

Some of this list is very tempting. Lions, Tigers and Bears, for example, looks as though it would be great for the Things. And I am tempted myself by Fallen Angel. But I categorically deny that this has anything to do with tit shots...

I find myself more and more interested in indie stuff. There are Marvel titles which I await each month with great anxiety and anticipation (the principal of these being Daredevil, of course). Yet on the whole, I find much more of interest amongst the indies. I have been having a fun on Top Shelf books recently, and they are stunning.

So I will be going through this list vigorously, chasing up links as I go, to see what might take my fancy for February.

Thanks for all the work you must have put into writing and researching this (although I'm sure it was no hardship ;)).

Kev said...

I meant having a run on Top Shelf books, not fun (although they are fun, there's no denying it). Doh! I should proof read, knowing how crap my typing is.