Thursday, November 03, 2005

Better to have loved and lost...

Here there be mild SPOILERS about House of M #8 ... um... Aaaarrrrrr

Ok, you are going to think I am silly. I think I am silly. But I went through something tonight. I read House of M #8. And I am very sad. Let me preface this with some back story. When I read HoM #7, about a month ago, and it was revealed that before everything was returned to normal, "No more mutants!". Now I already knew that not all mutants would be gone, that there would be 198 of them in existence.

Big frekin' deal. I don't read X-books, rarely ever did. I just wanted HoM to be worth it. As we are taken back to everyone's return to the Marvel Universe, we find out that mutants are still alive and well, just powerless. A good move on Marvel's part, every character is somebody's favorite. Except me, mutants schmutants... or so I thought. Then... then out walked Iceman... I knew it was him instantly... he was covered in sweat. Sweat. Iceman does not sweat... his bodily functions pertaining to temperature don't exist. Oh god...

No! Not Bobby Drake... not Iceman. Fuck no... c'mon. He is still alive. Oh, that is a bunch of horse shit, he may as well not exist now, without powers Marvel is not going to use him. They sent my character into comic limbo. Your character... seriously? Four words... Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends. That's five words. No, the & is a symbol. Were you dropped on your head as a baby? No comment. That means "yes". I am mourning.

Sorry to spoil what I have, but I could not convey this otherwise. The Iceman does not cometh... Oh yeah, and pick up Marvel Team-Up #14, it does not disappoint.

1 comment:

Kev said...

Well, I can't say I'm in mourning for any of the characters in House of M (here, have a hanky), but I did enjoy it far more than I had expected to. It will be interesting to see how events play out in the MU following HoM. I can't help but suspect that at some point some of the ex-mutants will have their powers back. Nothing really seems to stick.

That being said, it was a well-written mini; and I loved the fact that there was barely enough time between issues for even me to lose the plot ;) It's a refreshing change from the scheduling of Secret War or (I shudder as I write it) DD:Father.