Friday, September 16, 2005

So, it does no good

But once again, I have to toss a favorite comic out there. I know very few people read this, and honestly, I don't think that is the reason for this particular blog. I think I found a great comic, not only that, but a really cheap, beautifully colored, and healthily worded comic.

I mentioned this along time ago. Fell from Image Comics, well from Warren Ellis, Image was the only publisher with the stones to put this out. Now I will admit that months ago when I found this, the main pull was the price. $1.99. That kicked my nostalgia center into high gear. But even I was not expecting this.

Every panel, every page is used. 16 pages of uninterrupted and compelling story. Four additional pages to take you into the head of the author, and explain just exactly why he wanted to actually take a huge risk to give people their money's worth. Now I stopped believing in altruistic behavior along time ago, but I have to say, the author is not doing this for himself, except in the instance that every creative person does in that "have a story to tell sense".

But in all honesty Warren Ellis could have wrote this comic anywhere and made money... lots of money. This is a detective story, it is gritty and unforgiving, and it takes you places that for the most part are swept under rugs. In short the story, the main character, the city he finds himself in... it is all fucked up. And I know what you are thinking... c'mon Justin, you read Jughead... you don't know the first thing about fucked up. Well, try me, find this issue. Seek it out. It is two bucks... skip that morning coffee and take a ride with Fell.

Anyway, the reason I am writing this blog is so that in a "month or so" when issue 2 hits shelves, I am going to remind myself that Fell is one comic book that is fighting everything I dislike, it is giving me more than it has too, and so, I skipped my usual reviews for this.

I will thank me later.

1 comment:

Kev said...

Well, I am thanking you already. I bought Fell #1, on the strength, mainly, of the mention you made of it in your blog, but didn't really know what to expect. It is excellent. I love the art, and the story is really packed in there. The notes at the end are a very welcome addition too. Fell is so clearly a labour of love rather than a commercial venture for Warren Ellis. With this and the intriguing Desolation Jones, I am tempted to discover more of Ellis's work.

So, thank you for the recommendation :-)