Monday, September 19, 2005

Comics To Come

CONAN #20 (MR) $2.99- Wow, I can't believe I am still reading Conan. This is the longest I have followed a Conan title (which could have been said after issue 2). One of the problems I have had with Conan is that his location, his supporting cast it all seems to change in the blink of an eye. It makes it hard for me to invest, I mean yes there is always Conan, but truth be told I don't like him all that much. Fine stories... great art... what is wrong with me?

SUPERGIRL #2 $2.99- The second issue of a surprisingly strong series finds Supergirl meeting Superboy (a half-Superman, half-Lex Luthor), and he is not very happy to see her. I have no idea why yet, that was the cliff hanger of issue one. All the while Lex Luthor is keeping an eye on our new heroine from some dimension unknown to me. Add to that, the fact that sometimes you get no respect even when you wear the "S".

DAREDEVIL FATHER #3 (OF 5) $2.99- Honestly, buying this series makes me sick. I am glad at the very least that the price was dropped from $3.99. But that still doesn't change the fact that I don't like the story, something desperately needs to pick up, because right now it feels like I am being taken.

EXILES #70 $2.99- Wow, Exiles is one weird book. Or maybe it just has one weird aspect... a man-chicken. Now, I am not sure anyone knows this, or if even my family remembers this, but there was one strange episode of the Ghostbusters cartoon. Where one of the characters (Egon) gets turned into a were-chicken (like werewolf). Freaked me out! So there you go, odd childhood admission. Anyway, pick this up, in spite of that ... still a great thing going on in this title.

NEW AVENGERS #10 $2.50- Ok, I hate when something is added into a comic well after the book started. A good example of this is Elektra, I don't mean she is a poor character, but I mean c'mon, I am supposed to suspend my disbelief that for 150 or so issues, this woman Daredevil never talks about was his first real love. I might buy that, if there weren't these huge amounts of time where Elektra is all he can talk about. Where am I going with this? Well this new arc of New Avengers focuses on the Sentry, a character who was written as existing in the 60s with the Marvel Age of characters like the FF and Spidey. Only he shows up now. I will give props to Bendis and the Artist (McNiven?) because the reactions of the characters... the realism conveyed in each panel, makes this all seem plausible. That a character existed... who could wipe himself from the minds of everyone. And when he is found out... he does it all again. I just hate Paul Jenkins.

RUNAWAYS #8 $2.99- I want to say it, I want to say in this issue Karolina dies. I mean it has been foreshadowed. It has even been said by a future version of team member. But Vaughn has pulled rug out from under me so much that my head is spinning. No doubt this comic will be my best of the week.

ULTIMATES 2 #8 $2.99- Although if there was competition these last two books would be it. Ultimates... what can I say? This book kicks the llama's ass! Seriously it is espionage, it is super heroics, it is Captain America's girlfriend on the verge of cheating on her old man, cause he acts like an old man. If you thought being a superhero was easy, this will add some dysfunctional twists that you never saw coming.

WOLVERINE #32 $2.50- This is Millar's (writer) last issue of Wolverine, and while he won't be leaving with John Romita, Jr. as artist, he will go out with a bang. I have to say that after this, I am very tempted to stop getting Wolverine. He goes the way that Conan should, a pleasant run to a character I will never visit again. Worse yet, Millar's going on hiatus very soon. He will be missed.

Next week is a big week for Comics To Come, hopefully I have a few entries between now and then.

No comments: