Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Something to Blog About

Shipping This Week: AUGUST 09, 2006

DARK HORSE
ESCAPISTS #2 (OF 6) $2.99- This book really impressed me last month. Such a striking use of visual storytelling. Really allowing fans of the medium to embrace and admire different styles and techniques. I still find it hard to believe that one artist did the whole book. I am expecting another great read, and really wishing this title was not a miniseries.

MARVEL

BEYOND #2 (OF 6) $2.99- Another example of the big twos' attempts to go home again. Though I have to give Marvel credit, their previous nostalgia minis have been mined from bad storylines... or made them dreadfully worse with a new execution. Still making another sequel to the original Secret Wars struck my fancy. I like seeing the contrast of what was once a big event... crossing into all titles... being now a miniseries which seems to relish in knowing that there is nothing of consequence. I mean Spider-Man is killed in the first issue. Yet he is in four other titles doing well. I can't wait until 15 to 20 years from now people are reading "Return to House of M". Wait, 20 years from now... who am I kidding? Be here for it next summer.

SHE-HULK 2 #10 $2.99- Why are you not getting this book? Oh wait, I can stop saying that?! Sales are not too bad? Oh, well, we return to see the fate of resident Marvel creep/ ladies man Star Fox get what's coming to him. Meanwhile all the supporting cast you have come to expect... oh except for the person who dies this issue (or the awesome android) Buuum Buuum Baaaaaaa

SPIDER-MAN FAMILY FEATURING AMAZING FRIENDS $4.99- Ok, so I am getting my nostalgia kicks on this little spin-off of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends... so what? "Return to House of M" people! I am not sure if I was ever a huge fan of this 80s gem, but I certainly caught a few episodes, and have seen a good chunk recently thanks to ABC Family. But Iceman and Firestar have always been two faves... and this is written by Sean McKeever... not to mention there is a new Chris Giarusso mini marvels. It is pricey, but I dare say I will enjoy the hell out of it.

Well, a short week. I am off to watch some Animaniacs...

No comments: