Saturday, August 26, 2006

Comics to Come (in a week)

Shipping This Week: AUGUST 23, 2006

DC COMICS

BATMAN #656 $2.99- Grant Morrison continues his story of Batman with some huge changes, and the promise of a return to simpler times. While not my favorite (I am enjoying Paul Dini's run on Detective a bit more). I have to say that this premise has me intrigued. At the very least I will have an enjoyable issue to read. But in a few months, I will have cut off both titles. Bye bye Dark Knight.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #1 $3.99- I have to admit that the writer is the only reason I am getting this title. But it is Brad Meltzer of Identity Crisis fame. I enjoyed that book very much. It was quite busy with all sorts of characters and threads, but I think it only made me invest more. And while I remember some people being a bit put off by the ending, it was no less plausible to me. Anyway, I can't wait to catch up with this writer again, and find a title that keeps me in DC waters.

MARVEL COMICS

DAREDEVIL #88 $2.99- Wow if you are not getting this, you are missing a phenominal run. It is as if there is deja vu again, and the title of Daredevil is breaking new ground. Setting itself firmly with a great writer and artist team with a distinct direction all it's own. For those of who have been reading, it has been a great time to be a DD fan.

ETERNALS #3 (OF 6) $3.99- Speaking of a writer being the main draw. I can't say I would be getting Eternals if it were written by anyone else. Neil Gaiman is crafting a grand return for this secret sect of the Marvel U. It feels fresh and new, and while nodding at previous continuity (and often embracing) as a new reader I had no trouble keeping up. This one is worth the extra dollar.

HEROES FOR HIRE #1 CW $2.99- I am very anxious for this book. I am worried it will be one of those that failed to impress me, or that I might regret taking a chance on. But so far it looks like it will be alot of fun. A band of heroes come together with a common goal... money. Yet with the first job being something as controversial as taking a side in Civil War will everyone have qtheir eye on the prize?

NEW AVENGERS #23 CW $2.99- I hate to like this book, I really do. To me, the writer is at his best with one character. This book has a whole slew of them. Each time I find myself bored to tears as each hero seemingly lines up to take a punch at the villian of the week... in a couple of months there always seems to be the issue that focuses on one member, and brings me back. With Civil War it has been a series of single character focus. First Captain America, then Luke Cage and Jessica Jones (my fav)... and so it will continue, I think after Civil War though, I might be done. I was going issues at a time without bothering to read this book, and that cannot be a good sign.

SPIDER-MAN LOVES MARY JANE #9 $2.99- I love the story lines (mostly in TV and movies) where two characters can't seem to hit it off. One falls in love and the other moves on, then mistakes are realised but too little too late. There is just that sympathy that can be found on both sides, and it is easily relatable. Not to mention it just keeps you rooting and on the edge of your seat.

ULTIMATES ANNUAL #2 $3.99- I liked last year's Ulitimates annual quite a bit. It added to the main title, and was quite entertaining on its own. But there are many differences between this year and last. Last year had series writer Mark Millar at the helm, this year sees relative newcomer to comics Charlie Huston come onboard. And as my good friend helped me to realise, beyond this Huston is doing nothing else with the title. So, it already feels quite disconnected. I have not heard too many good things about this issue, but sometimes that brings my expectation down enough to make me say, "This isn't that bad."

WOLVERINE #45 CW $2.99- I am liking this title. Wolverine taking on the villian of Civil War... the reason that the Marvel Universe is at odds. And he is finding much more than he bargained for. I think if a writer wants to have that invincible character, that character that will always be mad enough, strong enough, determined enough, or crazy enough to do something, they need look no further than Wolverine. He is the ultimate fan fiction character.

COMICS

FALLEN ANGEL IDW VOL 1 TP $19.99- I have these issues, but I still wanted to recommend this trade. Peter David has taken his creation to new levels at IDW, and I think IDW is happy to have him. Especially considering Fallen Angel was supposed to be a mini and got extended to an ongoing. The art of J K Woodward is absolutely breathtaking, I am surprised the artist took to this character and to this world with such a masterful perspective. This title is entertaining, and intriguing and challenging. If I saw this trade sitting on the shelf I would be hardpressed to pass it up. I can't often say that about comics I already own.

So, there you go... just in time for you all to have already bought all your comics. (Both of you) Sadly, I won't get these until next week Friday. So, if you want to gloat use spoilers.

1 comment:

Kev said...

I'm passing on the Ultimates Annual, for the reasons you put forward. Alas, I can't justify buying stuff that might just be ok at the moment. So I am being more selective than I have been for a long time.

DD is definitely top of my pile still (loving Bru, getting accustomed to Lark), but Fallen Angel is not far behind. I love this title. I am tempted to pick up the trade, but I am holding fire, because I have Lost Girls to find, and there is a new printing of From Hell out this week (Moore trumps David, for me). Nonetheless, it's one of those trades I can imagine being able to leave for (women) friends to pick up and flick through, much like Alias. People who roll their eyes in despair at the thought of traditional superhero shenanigans. So I might be tempted yet.

I am on the fence about Heroes for Hire. Should I be seriously considering it?

Oh, try to get hold of Snakewoman. It's good :-)