Monday, August 28, 2006

Comics Coming (on Friday)

SHIPPING THIS WEEK: AUGUST 30, 2006

DARK HORSE COMICS

GREMLINS HC $12.95- The problem with preordering (one of few) is that by the time I go to write out a blog entry, it is quite likely that I have forgotten key details of some things I ordered. This is one of those times. Still, a man is only as good as his internet connection. "The Gremlins is the story of Gus, a British World War II fighter pilot, who during the Battle of Britain turned to look out on the wing of his plane only to see an amazing sight: a little man, no more than six inches tall with horns growing from his head, drilling a hole in the plane's wing. Gus was the first man to ever see a Gremlin, and what happened after that would change the war, and the world, forever."

Now the reason I was intrigued by this book is that it reminded me of the tiny little gremlin that terrorized Bugs Bunny. Even looking at the cover now there is a strong similiarity in design. But there is Walt Disney's signature/logo slapped on the book. Anyway, should be a nice edition to have all the same, and the price is right.

DC COMICS

ALL STAR SUPERMAN #5 $2.99- Well we have almost reached the halfway point to the Grant Morrison run on this series. And I have to say, I really enjoy this book. It is quirky and adventurous with wild ideas and classic scenarios. And it has reaffirmed that this is probably just the right amount of Superman for me.

JUSTICE #7 (OF 12) $3.50- Another quality series by DC. And yet not tied to anything currently. Which might be why I like it so much. It stands alone, yet is probably filled with bits for the seasoned reader. The art of Alex Ross and the story by Jim Krueger have been worth the wait. It is too soon to tell if this will be a trade worth buying, though it certainly seems to me that it would read even better that way. If you are a fan of the ensemble cast in an epic tale with more character then clashes... this is a good one.

MARVEL COMICS

CIVIL WAR YOUNG AVENGERS & RUNAWAYS #2 (OF 4) $2.99- I hope I don't end up feeling like this series has been a waste of money. As it would be one of the first Civil War tie-ins that I have felt this way about. I don't know if Runaways or (when it returns) Young Avengers are hurting for new readers. But I would be surprised if this has pulled anyone in. Brian K. Vaughan is tying into events from this series in the regular Runaways title (after Civil War), so maybe that is a good sign.

KABUKI #7 (MR) $2.99- How sweet it is! Kabuki returns to my doorstep. The end of the first arc. I highly expect big things... like my actually understanding even less then I do. This is the kind of series that you can probably pull as many different reactions from as there are readers. If and when the trade comes, I cannot recommend it enough. It is a wonderful journey into self discovery.

SHE-HULK 2 #11 $2.99- Oh, it is on now. Jen stands between her husband, Man-Wolf... and his prey (and wannabe husband) Pug. It is anybody's guess what happens next. Is She-Hulk under a spell? Will the bite Pug received turn him into a wolf too? Can the Man-Wolf tinkle on the paper?

X-FACTOR #10 $2.99- Layla knows things. That is all I know. Peter David is crafting quite a few mysteries here, I will never know how he does so much. I cannot recommend his books enough. And the art while fluctuating always keeps a solidly dark feel. It's like a enigma wrapped in a riddle and covered in caramel.

IDW COMICS

COBB OFF THE LEASH #3 $3.99- The return of Dirk Squarejaw has been a long time coming. The ever-resourceful, rough and tough, take no bullsh** while taking out bad guys hero. There is alot that is adrenaline candy in this book, alot of surface storytelling. But there is alot to be said for those stories. Sometimes you just need something fun.

CSI DYING IN THE GUTTERS #1 $3.99- Speaking of fun. One of the most popular TV series tackles the case of one of the comic industries least liked gossip monger. Follow the death of Rich Johnston with cameos from all sort of comic pros.

FALLEN ANGEL IDW #8 (MR) $3.99- Yet again another Peter David penned comic book. And as it says in the previous comments section this book is on a quality level and only getting better. An expertly crafted world where the characters operate in an area of grey, though the stakes couldn't be higher.

MERCHANDISE

ULTIMATES TOMORROW MEN MMPB (RES) $7.99- The high octane Ultimates make their prose novel debut. I am very excited about the resurgence of original Marvel novels coming out. The biggest one thus far has to be an upcoming Wolverine novel written by David Mack in October.

2 comments:

RedheadFangirl said...

Justin-
Thanks for the nice comment on my blog! I added your blog to the Comic Blog Legion:
http://www.midjerseycomicon.com/bloglegion
Welcome!

Justin said...

Thank you, muchly. I will be checking out the other blogs there as well.