Friday, July 21, 2006

Still a Week to Go

Shipping This Week: July 19, 2006

>DC COMICS

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #0 $2.99- If it were any other writer, I probably would have not gotten this book. DC usually fails to get me to buy a book simply because it is new. But this is Brad Meltzer (Identity Crisis... you know before the insane Infinite Crisis). And that book was really great... I never felt to lost. It was a beautiful touching story. It was sort of hype, but I don't mind that if it is a good story. Kind of like if Civil War was just coming out on it's own. They can hype 7 issues to high heck for all I care. Anyway, I just want to see if Meltzer can surprise me again. Maybe this can be my connection to the DC universe (proper). Well, this and Wonder Woman... still can't quite believe I am getting that. Good stuff though.

>MARVEL COMICS

CABLE DEADPOOL #30 CW $2.99- Daredevil appearance, nuff said? Alright... DD and Deadpool meet again. Might be worth a look. Alright, it is worth more than a look it tells who the new DD is, looks to be a pretty big appearance!

CIVIL WAR #3 (OF 7) $2.99- Oh, I can't really say what's going to happen. The pacing on this book is very nice. Like a good action movie, linear but still wild. The sides are being forged, I will be surprised to see where Cap's group of refugees ended up. And I am also surprised to see what the next moves will be. This has me excited.

DAILY BUGLE NEWSPAPER SPECIAL CW PI- I like these newspaper specials, enough that I would almost buy something which highlights the goings ons of titles on a monthly basis. Catching us up on the lives of those in the MU, but then I think it would lose that unique quality. If you just want to dip a toe into Civil War or know someone who does, this should be priced just right.

ETERNALS #2 (OF 6) $3.99- I am loving this book, I finally read issue one the other day. And it is very entertaining and not nearly as overwhelming as I thought. It helps that one of the characters is hopelessly lost when it comes to the mythology aspect too. And what a cliff hanger. Even though I am preordering, and thus tied down to upcoming issues regardless, I still love a good cliffhanger.

FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #10 $2.99- This is a good book, especially since it broke away from The Other crossover. But there is alot of muttering on the internet, just alot of talk about who dropped it and such, I hope that is not indicative in the sales. The only problem I see is that it embraces continuity. A new reader is going to see Spidey in some pretty strange, but I hope easily readable adventures. It reminds me of when I was given some Spider-Man 2099 comics... and I thought it was just Spider-Man... completely messed with my head. It is high concept but fun, and you can tell Peter David is having fun with the character he started writing for Marvel years and years ago.

RUNAWAYS #18 $2.99- Oh, let's see Vaughan pulled his usual twist cliffhanger. And it blew my mind. Seriously, it just takes the idea of a cliffhanger the usual stuff... somebody dies... stuff like that, and throws a curve ball. He even walks you through it too, you are feeling pretty good, just following along, and BLAM! pulls the rug out.

SHE-HULK 2 #9 $2.99- Oh yes, I remember ... the wedding. Poor Pug. Bastard John. Andy you canniving cuss. Jen, you ignorant slut. (Ok, that was a Saturday Night Live reference) but considering her recent not being in control of her mind, a bit harsh. Anyway if you have no idea what I am talking about. Get the trades. Three great volumes. Take them and call me in the morning.

X-FACTOR #9 CW $2.99- I love me some X-Factor. In fact, if I had one complaint, it would be that I miss the original artist. Quite alot. The book has not been the same quality since he left. Still quite good, but I think it would be liking taking Gaydos off Alias, or Maleev off DD. The team fit the book.

>MAGAZINES

COMICS BUYERS GUIDE OCT 2006 #1621 $5.99- I might have to drop this. I still like it, would still recommend it. I just have not been having time to read it. I am hoping that will change now that I have gone back to twice a month shipping. It really is one of the best comic magazines out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kev said...

Some good stuff there. And then there is this week's selection, with DD #87 of course. Ah, happy reading...

Of course, it goes without saying that I will be in the depths of Dorset, and nowhere near a comic shop. Still, there will be some excellent books to return to.

I hope you manage to find a way of keeping on CBG, too.