Saturday, March 26, 2005

The Hobby

Ask anybody, anybody (who knows me) what I most like to discuss? It is comic books, honest to goodness, disposable paper pamphlets, which while with age have historical value, offer little else truly consequential. And yet, for one person this seemingly meaningless thing, can hold so much. Honestly, it should be a shirt "Everything I know I learned from Spidey" and in fine print somewhere should be added, which is why I am such a screw-up. I got my first comic from my grandmother, I now know it was Spectacular Spider-Man #185. The only thing for years that I could remember is it had Spidey and two Leap Frogs. I got my humor from Spider-Man, as much my coping device as it is his. I got my sense of morality from Spidey, and it wavers but that is because of humanity. The only thing I did not get that I wish I had... his physique. (still waiting for that radioactive spider)

Now lately, through no fault of my own, it has been hitting me that my love for the medium might be faltering. Really, it is to be expected... everything ends. And yet, I am indulging in far more comic books than I did ever before. There is Bendis, and there is Millar, there are Identity Crisises and Sins Past. Who are my favorite writers, Dan Slott and Karl Kesel hands down. I just like some fun in my comics. I picked up a trade Gus Beezer... this thing was great. Just a kid and his comics... playing in his backyard... nobody was raped or brutalized. The Hulk got a wedgie (sort of). One of my favorite characters is Daredevil, at times my favorite hands-down, but I think I entered that series at the wrong time all together. Kesel and Nord... this should be put into TPB. But I am finding out, it is not DD, I mean really not DD.

Maybe it is not that I have lost a love for comics, maybe I have just gained a need for escapism again.

No comments: