Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Comics to Come (1-11-06)

This is actually comics from last week and comics coming this week.

Shipped Last Week: January 5, 2006

DC COMICS:

HARD TIME SEASON TWO #2 $2.50- It feels like I just expressed how much I enjoy this series. And in fact I did, a couple of blogs ago. This really is quite an inventive series. It is very different from my usual superhero series. It has a nice sardonic wit, ever wild and inventive plots, and a dark twisted setting that has me intrigued from page one.

MARVEL

MARVEL ADVENTURES SPIDER-MAN #11 $2.50- This, at least by appearances, will be Sean McKeever's second to last issue. Which also makes it my second to last issue. It has been a fun ride, and I hope that McKeever makes his finale issue as exciting as all his other issues. I think all together he will have had a six issue run, which is plenty for me to keep and appreciate.

MARVEL TEAM-UP #16 $2.99- This title is very much a case of having an easy sell, to having surprisingly cult, but still strong enough audience to continue. To all the Geekspeak guys recommending it. When I started talking about this title I thought it was time wasted, I mean with a first and second issue with Wolverine and Spidey on the cover I thought it would at least have fanboy buzz and beyond that all the people that buy anything Wolverine or anything Spidey would keep it going. And then it became just the book I hoped it would, a who's who of the Marvel Universe, with strong and silly and inventive stories to boot. When all is said and done I hope this title stays around for a long time.

Shipping This Week: January 11, 2006

DC COMICS

DESOLATION JONES #5 (MR) $2.99- I have not talked about this book for awhile (mainly because of its shipping schedule) but the saying rings true, absence makes the heart grow fonder. This is the kind of series that one can forget that they like so much. It has a dirtbag likeable character surrounded by nicer looking yet equally corrupt souls. The plot is a mystery wrapped in an enigma... the only thing one can be sure of is that Jones will come out on top (it is his book after all).

MARVEL

CABLE DEADPOOL #24 $2.99- This book is guest-starring Spidey. Spider-Man Deadpool might have been a more fitting title. I have had a fondness for Deadpool since his appearances with Daredevil. A funny man to DD's serious persona. Well, with this newest pairing expect to be tripping over quips, and ducking the sharpness of cutting wit.

EXILES #75 $2.99- 2099. 2099! Nuff said.

SHE-HULK 2 #4 $2.99- This is going to be a doozy of an issue following the last one. Not only do Jen and the readers have to catch back up, but we will also be dealing with (at least a bit I hope) this role that Jen plays in a future war. Also who is the mystery Avenger that She-Hulk brought back from time limbo?

SON OF M #2 (OF 6) $2.99- Two David Hine books this week. After a strong first issue we get to see who else wants to find Quicksilver and give him his due. He is responsible for the reality altering House of M, of course now that his wife has found him, he might well be in the dog house.

X-MEN THE 198 #1 (OF 5) $2.99- This book follows the group of mutants sheltering themselves in Xaviers mansion, who have dubbed themsevelves The 198, which is the (estimated) number of mutants that they think is still on the planet Earth. This is also Hine's second book this week, so I have expectations of good characterisation, and a strong story.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/comicgeekspeak/cgs-episode101.mp3

No comments: