Saturday, January 07, 2006

2005 In Review

I really hate these focuses, and I don't just mean doing them over the year, I mean when anyone does them. Because some really good things get glossed over or forgotten entirely. It takes that mind for trivia or things of that nature to remember just exactly what happened two or three months ago, much less an entire year. So, I am not going to do that, mainly because I am too tired. And also even when feeling my best it would be a lousy attempt.

One trend I have enjoyed for 2005 was the stand-alone crossovers. While this is probably the world's biggest oxymoron. I think it has been successful, and should continue. I think the comics community has seen it could be done with Identity Crisis and gone on from there. Mini-series that are the event... you don't need anything else. Keep it up, and keep letting me know that I can go it solo. Test the waters as it were.

Bringing back the fun. I am sure this is on some people's lists as a horrible thing. But I cannot remember the last time I have had so much fun reading comics. 2005 was a good year. And I have to admit I am reading books I never thought I would read. Books like (to pimp out once again) She-Hulk, New Warriors, Ultimates, Runaways, Young Avengers, New Avengers, Daredevil (just kidding), GLA, Gravity, Mary Jane... the list could go on... and on.

Fell. This one got its own paragraph, by far one of the best series to come out 2005. And yet again added another writer to my radar who I probably would have always stayed away from, and now I have to fight off not buying, Warren Ellis is a prolific writer. If you are not buying this... there is just nothing else I can say. If you read one comic... let it be Fell. It's $1.99 and it is full of goodness. The most dense read of my month, and it also has the least pages... beautifully set-up. It is a bargain. I know it is recent... but I am hoping it starts a trend in 2006.

Creator over character. This is a trend I should have been following along time ago. Why it did not occur to me that if you like Mark Millar, or Dan Slott, Sean McKeever... buy their books (oops... Robert Kirkman too *wink*). You might get one or two series that you are not thrilled with. But it is alot better than my trend of: buy Daredevil... and suffer, until something better comes along.

Looking Forward. I don't think I said in 1995, that 1996 was going to be a great year. And it was, Kesel and Nord on DD *drool*. I don't think I said in 1998, that 1999 was going to be a great year. And it was, Kevin Smith on DD. But 2006, I can't wait! I am getting tired of events, but damn... when you got Mark Millar taking the helm... you can at least have the safe bet it will knock your socks off. Who's side are you on? 1985. If you don't know what I am talking about, keep your eyes on this blog... you will! And DC even got me, after much staring at my wallet, and looking at the amount of comics DC wanted you to get to "jump in" to Infinite Crisis! At least 200 and some dollars for the pre-show folks.

After all that, I am so freakin' psyched for 52! A comic put out every week for a year. The fabulous covers of J. H. Williams III, three very accomplished writers taking the helm, and one series for a (real time) year's worth of DC in one book. This is a very risky idea. But this is like the fanboy dream of "jumping on" title. Never read a DC book? This one book, a whole universe, an expertly plotted year. It's insane! I love it. This is one book that people can finally say, and with a great deal of credibility, "In 2006, 52 was pretty damn cool."

I might get to those further reviews (mentioned in the previous entry) but being this tired makes me a bitter reader, and taints my perception. Couldn't tell by this post though, eh?

2 comments:

Kev said...

Fell would probably get my vote of the year for the best value comic out there, in terms of how much is packed into those few pages, as well as the price. And the obvious devotion of the creative team behind it.

I can't say I am even remotely taken by the idea of anything DC (except, obviously, Wildstorm, Vertigo and the like, which don't really count). But that could be because I skip DC stuff on the comics websites, assuming it will not be of interest. Maybe I don't give it a chance. But then life is too short...

Talking of Vertigo, the two *Firsts* trades were fab. So cheap, and such good introductions to a number of titles which I am now more interested in checking out.

My favourite comic story last year was Daredevil:Redemption. It was just a beautifully crafted, gripping Daredevil tale, which has made me sit up and take notice when I see that David Hine is on a title (so I agree there about creator over character, although in this instance, we got both).

It was a very good year for comics, I think, on the whole, although as ever, there was some crap out there (DD vs Punisher, anyone?).

Hmmm, this comment was so long, I would have been well-advised to put it on my own blog, instead of clogging up your comments...

Now, about these other reviews...;-)

Justin said...

Yeah, I agree with DD:Redemption. A very solid comic. And Daredevil the regular series has been consistently good as well. I think Bendis would go into that creator over character, because he is another writer that would have me follow him anywhere. It is quite fortuitous that Brubaker is a also a write of the similar caliber.

I just find 52 very hard to resist, perhaps even based on cover artist alone. As far as skipping DC, I find a similar feeling to that as I do with indies now, I may never buy much, but even they will have their gems.

Leave as long (and as many) comments as you want. :^)