Monday, January 30, 2006

Bloggity Blog

April Comic Picks:
First Down is Marvel

This time I decided I am not going to talk about the same things I have been getting but rather new books or starting points.

MOON KNIGHT #1 (32 PGS. ...$2.99)- This is definetly not a must have for me. Rather it is a chance to get to explore a character I have hardly seen written by novelist Charlie Huston. And drawn by the immensily talented Bryan Hitch... drooool does not even begin to describe. Then there is that discount (hate to keep being smug) that gets me this on the fence issue for 74 cents.

NEW AVENGERS ANNUAL #1 (48 PGS. ...$3.99)- I am tingly over this issue. Not only is this the only Avengers book I have continuously read. But this is the first book to get the revamp annual treatment. And rightly so. You could do alot worse than this... if it is made like Marvel has said they intend to, then this will be both a great jumping on point, and an addition to what has already been told.

DC Offerings to note:

SEVEN SOLDIERS #1 (On sale April 5 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99)- This is going to be more than just a comic. This is a one man event, and while alot of necessary story has already been told (in at least 4 mini-series). So I am crossing my fingers that Grant Morrison at least tries to leave something for those of us with limited budgets to catch up on.

EX MACHINA SPECIAL #1 (On sale April 19 • 1 of 2 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99)- I am very excited about this. For those who don't know Brian K. Vaughan scripts this comic, and I have heard nothing but good things. A fresh concept... constructed with a more mature reader in mind. I am hoping this is the great way to catch up that I want it to be.

BITE CLUB: VAMPIRE CRIME UNIT #1 (On sale April 19 • 32 pages, $2.99)- Well, this is Howard Chaykin... I know that much. I really wish I had saved the solicitation blurb. Because at this point I am left to simply tell the truth... I am purchasing this 99% because of the cover. (link above)


BOOM STUDIOS gives us:

TALENT #1- Okay, let me lay some plot out here. This will be a comic about the lone survivor of a plane crash, who gains the "talents" of everyone else on the plane. Now this is one of those concepts that could be deliciously good or horribly awful. But at the very least the art will knock your socks off. From the same great talent who was the artist for Grounded. This is a guy to follow... unique and raw. And really primed to go places.


DARK HORSE COMICS:

ARCHENEMIES #1 (32 pages, $2.99, in stores on April 5)- Your roommate is also your archenemy. What's a superhero to do? And it doesn't help that in your secret identities you are best friends... oh wait, no you aren't, not even close. Watch out Felix and Oscar, here comes the Good, the Bad, and the Roomies. Don't I make it sound fun? Well, it should be, anyway.

I already mentioned Family Guy, bit of a correction though. It's 48 pages instead of the solicited 64. I can't be the only one who thinks that is a big difference.

ONI PRESS:

MY INNER BIMBO #1 (32 pages, BW, $2.99)- Oni Press is known for its bizarre yet pleasant stories that are more about exploration of the creator's vision then making some corporate scratch. Anyway this one looked pretty neat. And I seem to remember hearing good things about Sam Keith... I want to say he was the artist and writer for Pitt. Can't be sure though.

2 comments:

Kev said...

So, you hate being smug about your discounted comics? Hmmm. You hide your hatred very well, I must say. I have been labouring under the misapprehension that you enjoy it ;)

Every time anyone is positive about New Avengers, I suffer pangs of doubt...should I have been picking this up all along?

I'm quite tempted by several things on this list. Apart from the fact that, should I decide to buy any or all of them, the result would be financial hardship, and no doubt increased smuggery on your part...

And anyway, I am saving myself (and my poundses) for the mammoth Lost Girls and the Alias hardcover.

Justin said...

I should have saved myself for Girls... *sigh* in my teenage rush, I settled on one at at time.

I would just recommend the annual to someone on the fence. And that is more on the basis that I am hoping it does its job of welcoming a new reader.