Monday, May 01, 2006

(Belated) Blog Against Disabilism

EDIT: There was a delay with this thanks to some tech. difficulties. But I still wanted to get this out there.

For so many minorities predjudice exists every day, in ways big and small. I think for most everyone, that is the case. And yet we only step out of the shadows at certain times, for certain reasons. I suppose at least stigmas and stereotypes get challenged. Progress is made in all sorts of ways.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to say today, but I think I have found something that is useful for any sort of challenge. And it is something my mother told me more times than I can count. "Be Your Own Advocate." If something needs changed... let it be known. Maybe we are not all created equally, but I think we can all find equality and happiness.

So, if you are there... wondering when your day, or your month will come... wondering when someone will blog about your personal discrimination? Speak out. People can't be aware of what you don't tell them, and you might regret not doing something.

Here is a link for more about this day, and the people behind it.

2 comments:

Darediva said...

I can't read all your post because of the freakin' plug in that is sitting on top! ; )

What I could read looked good, as always.

Oh, and Civil War will have to start without me, as I have this quilt that has to be done by 8 pm May 2. Yikes!

Justin said...

Well, ta for your comments, Al. I haven't blogged in so long, how long has that audio reader been there for the word verification?

As far as Civil War... from what I have read (from Dave Wallace's review) it is very much a setup issue. I am just crossing my fingers that I don't regret getting it. Am wondering what DD's involvement is... and for that matter... which DD?