Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Recommendation

Before I really get started I want to take a moment to mention my internet comic shop. I have been with them for a while. So long in fact I cannot even remember how I first found out about them. I am not a frequent customer, but I am tight with my money. Which is what attracted me to www.nuffsaidcomics.com. Not only did they have cheap back issues, but even their new issues were cheaper than cover price. Not to mention it seemed as if every week there was a sale 20% to sometimes 30% off. The only aggravation in this being, you always wanted to wait for the bigger of the two sales. Anyway, I was speaking in past tense, because there have been a lot of changes there. Not as many back issues, although I have a sneaky suspicion more are coming. And there appears to be a better focus on the business. If you are just looking for a place for when your LCS screws up, give this one a glance.

Alright, so who watched Blind Justice? I am telling you, it is one of the best shows to hit ABC in awhile, and that is saying something. I think it is the conflicts, conflict at work, conflict with the wife, conflict with your therapist. It does not help when everybody thinks you are a big jerk, and then you prove them wrong. This is the most true to life fiction I have ever seen. I am not talking about the cop part. Although, I am sure that is fine. It can all be summed up in this: Sometimes your wife really will be jealous of your dog. Anyway, if you have not seen it, let someone who has sum it up, and then watch next week. Biiiiig ol' conflict next week.

The trouble with Indies. Indy comics, the scrappers. I hear it all the time, those who support Marvel and DC are sticking it to the Indies. Let me put a new scenario in their mind. You live in a small town. You got one shop, and his idea of indy is Image and Darkhorse, guess what your idea of Indy will be Image and Darkhorse. Add on top of that, there is only so much money in my wallet, and Marvel is putting out some great comics. Not only is my favorite character (Daredevil) riding atop the waves of some of his best storylines ever. But even characters I paid no mind (She-Hulk) are on the top of my list every month. Even though, I want to support indies, I want to support change in well, I suppose just Marvel. And the fact is I learned along time ago to buy what I like. But I tell you what, pick a fave, an underdog, give me a summary, and a website where I can get it. And I will pick it up. Nuff said

2 comments:

Kev said...

Regarding Indy vs Marvel/DC, I don't think that one needs to be prescriptive. I don't agree that by sticking to Marvel you are undermining the smaller companies/independently published comics. It's all about choices, and what is available to you. There is nothing wrong with loyalty to Marvel, or DC, for whatever reasons; supporting the industry in any way has to be a good thing, doesn't it? Just as people have different tastes in prose fiction, there is a place for all sorts in the comic world. But no-one can read it all.

Blind Justice sounds interesting and rather accomplished. Who knows, I may even be able to watch it some day...

Darediva said...

It's good to know that readers are open to indy comics, and also sad that most LCS don't stock many of them. One more good thing about the internet is the access to the authors of indy comics, and a chance to buy them online. Like Kev said, buy what you like, because you are still supporting the industry as a whole. We all vote with our money. Oh, and DAREDEVIL rules, amigo. ]|)

On the other topic, Blind Justice is shaping up to be a very good show. Every episode has been an improvement on the last, and the premiere was excellent. I look forward to the development of the ensemble cast during the season, and do hope it will be renewed in the fall.